Monday, February 16, 2009

The year 2024!

In fifteen years it's safe to say that the internet will rule media. ideally i will download all my movies the same way most download music, through iTunes and such. i already don't want to buy physical media. it's a pain in the ass to store 200 or so dvds, blu-ray cases are marginally smaller. i don't want to store my media on anything bigger than a cubic foot. mark cuban predicted that physical media will be gone soon, i pray he is correct. the kindle is replacing books for those who still ready (pffft!) the internet has replaced newspapers. in fifteen years my life will change dramatically. real life will have long since been underway and my job and family will be more important than how i can trick my friends into watching a rick astley music video. there will be less time to waste on my staples now (digg.com and other internet entertainment sites) I imagine any extra time i have to consume media for entertainment will be news (via tv still) and movies (via home theater pc!) if i have my way with it, i will not give a dime to comcast! i wouldn't have cable tv now if it wasn't for my roommates.

1. my personal locus will be: (in this order) family, career, cars. I can't think of many more things to do before i die than own a Ford GT. Of course since family comes first, i may be spending money on consuming media that i don't necessarily consume myself, but rather that of my kids. (the wiggles, blues clues, etc. obviously not these specifically, but the idea is there) Movies will fill the time not occupied by the personal locus. sleep will occupy whats left.
2. nationwide wifi broadcast of tv (cable and broadcast, less of a difference between the two) wifi radio [pandora in cars!] (blanketed over everywhere much like a cellphone signal) everything will basically work like the internet. it will be a much better world. comcast will file for bankruptcy. a lot of us will giggle. i will try to sneak video games past my wife like many men. (count on the wii not making a comeback)
3. Ideally on a typical sunday i will (because i don't live with my roommates) not watch a football game. i never really took an interest in it, an occasional game is alright, but 9 hours a day (more if you count pregame garbage commentary) is excessive. hopefully soccer will be on tv finally. 2024 is not a world cup year though. world cup is the best. during the day i'll probably listen to music while i bike or (more likely) clean the house. hopefully i won't have to watch too much new wiggles. hopefully watch a baseball game or something in there. it seems like all of this media would be consumed in the background. i don't really see myself sitting down and actively consuming too much.

1 comment: